Wednesday 4 April 2007

Workhouses

One of the notable institutions of the past was the workhouse. In 1601 the Act for the Relief of the Poor made parishes responsible for looking after their own poor. They continued until 1930 when their responsibilities passed to local authorities at which point many became Public Assistance Institutions and continued to provide accommodation for the elderly, chronic sick, unmarried mothers and vagrants. You can read more about the history of workhouses, and find out much, much more at www.workhouses.org.uk

I haven't found any of my ancestors in a workhouse, not yet at least, but if I do it will most likely be at Wells or Shepton Mallet.

2 comments:

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Several of my family passed through the workhouses at some point or another. Thanks for the link.

Derek Andrews said...

Hello Apple, I'm glad you found it useful, and thanks for leaving a comment, it's encouraging to know that I have some appreciative readers!