Thursday 18 February 2021

The Drang

 In my childhood there was a narrow alley way besides the Cottage Hospital that my family called the drang. For fans of Hot Fuzz, it is where PC Nicholas Angel leaps over a wall and catches up with shoplifter Pete. 

Drang is not a word that I ever recall hearing outside of the family though, and I often wondered if it was something they had made up. Googling it many years ago I found a reference to it used in Newfoundland, with a variant drung which I have seen in a map of Croscombe. It is also used in Pembrokeshire.

My best find though came today when I found this map of Wells.  ca. 1835  Robert Creighton,  engr. J.& C. Walker for Lewis' Topographical Dictionary.


Notice Drang Lane exactly where the drang is! 

Worth noting on the map are alternative / misspelled names, such as Kenward, Stowborough and Birrel Lane. Back Lane, now North Road, I have seen on other maps and also in the Journal, so it probably correct.

Update: This Facebook post got a lot of positive responses and drangs all over the place.


No comments: